Thursday 24 October 2013

Breast Cancer. I get the results of the scan and breast tissue biopsy.

Florida 2013..what am I eating?
Back from holiday;

7th July 2013, I pick up the pile of mail that greets us on our return from Florida, there is an appointment to see the breast surgeon on the 12th July 2013. So I know some thing is not correct! I warn my husband.
8th July 2013, 07.30. I am at work. Having been away for two weeks my mail box is full, it will take two weeks to clear it all! So I make a start.
08.45, As I work in the hospital where I am being treated I know that The Breast Care Team should be in the office by now, I bleep the Consultant Breast Care Nurse using the hospital bleep system.
09.45, no response from my bleep. I decide to walk over to the Breast Unit. It is a long walk of over 10 minutes as my office and the Breast Care Unit are at opposite ends of the hospital. Its a beautiful day so I enjoy the walk in the sun.
When I get to the reception desk, the consultant nurse is there, she smiles and says 'I got your bleep and was just ringing you, come into my office'. I do so, I sit on the chair as instructed. Following the introductions and small talk, how was your holiday etc, she gets down to the nitty gritty;
'Well!' she says, and smiles ....'its not'

..........I relax thank goodness its not Cancer, my Husband was correct..........

'it's not Good news'..............'It is breast cancer'.

My mind cant keep up. My brain says No! that cant be correct you just said 'its not'. I must look puzzled, as she says again, 'the biopsy shows it is Cancer'.

OK, my first words are 'I am not having Chemotherapy, as it makes well people ill'. She smiles, 'We are not any where near that point, I am sure that the Cancer is HRT related. They will do a lumpectomy, then radiotherapy then you will go on Tamoxifen'. I relax, that sounds OK, I can do that. Things have obviously moved on since I did my nurse training, well it was a long time ago! I am not a nurse now, I am a Midwife, what do I know about modern breast cancer treatment? Nothing, I understand the jargon, but that's it.
She then gives me some more results from the Scan/ Biopsy findings; It is Ductal Carcinoma in situ (DCIS) so not invasive, it is small, Stage One as its less than 2cm. it is Grade 2, so medium growing. Due to this I will need surgery. This will be 'breast conserving surgery', a wide local excision or lumpectomy and some Lymph Glands will have to come out. Then it will be radiotherapy and Tamoxifen. OK! so to me that all sounds doable, I can cope with it, in fact if your going to have Breast Cancer at all this sound like the stage to catch it at and I am not worried.
I thank her, she tells me I will get an appointment through the post to see the Surgeon and I go back to my office and back to work.
After work I sit in the garden, enjoying the sun, reading a book, planning our next holiday to South Africa in October, after all I will be better by then?
My husband comes home, I give him the news, saying is not so bad at least I don't have to have Chemotherapy, he doesn't say much.
The worst bit comes over the next week as I inform my family, friends and work colleagues about the news. I get sick of saying it 'I have breast cancer' and people react in many different ways. Luckily as I am in the health care profession most of my colleagues are experts in dealing with bad news and are very caring people.
The appointment to see the surgeon arrives the in the next days post, its for Friday 12th July, but I know that already thanks to the letter at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment