Wednesday 31 August 2016

Breast Cancer. Making a Will, recovering from surgery and getting on the Cancer Treadmill .

8th August 2013. I am off sick, long term sick, for the first time in my NHS career.
My recovery from the surgery was good. I felt better than I had for a long time and slept well as the pain in my breast; that had been keeping me awake, was gone.
My first view of the scar was a bit of a shock, the surgeon had cut me from my arm pit to below my breast, when I removed the dressing I could see that the incision was just under 6 inches long. I know why he did this as from the front you can not see that I have had any thing done so from a cosmetic point of view it is a very good job.
I was given a leaflet about exercises to do after surgery, http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcc_exercises06_web_0.pdf
and started to do these on day One after the operation. As soon as I felt able, I started to walk the dogs daily, at least a 3 Km walk.
I also sorted something out that should have been done ages ago, I made an appointment with a solicitor to get advice about Wills. It sounds very morbid, but it is something that needed sorting out. 19 August 2013. Visit to the local Solicitor. I chose this solicitor as he was connected to one on my colleagues. However this was a mistake as much to my shock the man was a total Chauvinist who was  not interest in my wishes, his only interest was in advising me to make sure I documented the type of funeral arrangements I wanted in my Will as 'this is what concerns most people'....NO!!! What concerned me was that my children get the bits of my estate that they are entitled to. All I was asking was that any assets my husband and I had, including my NHS pension, be protected upon my death. so that if my husband remarried his new spouse or any new children would have no claim on my 1/2 of 'the estate'.
I made another appointment with a more professional ( and coincidently Female Solicitor) who has produced the Will I wanted, it has all sorts of clauses in it, but the thing is, it expresses my wishes, all be it that some of them may sound odd. And that's what I think a Will should do, express the wishes of the dead person.
For my recovery, I bathed using Tea Tree and Lavender Essential oil each day. I rubbed Bio Oil into my wound each day. I drank Jason Vale Juices every day, especially the Green one with the Avocado in it. Despite its odd appearance it is very nice! I took my Holland & Barret 'Super One Formula and I walked the dogs.
23 August 2013. I am back at the breast care unit to see the surgeon. The waiting room has quite a few people with out hair in it, they have stylish scarves on. There is also a Man in the waiting area, I have to quietly inform my Husband that Men get Breast Cancer as well as Women.
the Surgeon is pleased with my wound. He tells me that the breast Cancer was a fast growing one. That in the time from my first appointment on 8th June 2013 to the 7th August 2013 it had gone through the duct so it was now a ' Grade 3, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, with a high nuclear grade ', but the really good news was that the 3 Lymph nodes that had been removed did not have any cancer in them, and showed 'no evidence of metastasis'. He informs me that the Cancer has no Oestrogen receptors, no Herceptin receptors and is very, very weakly receptive to Progesterone. So almost a triple negative breast cancer. He advises me that my case has been discussed at the multidisciplinary meeting and I will be seeing the Oncologist and the radiologist in due course......I am on the Cancer Treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment